Skip to main content

A visit to my neighbour's place for Mother Mary's Statue

I had just arrived home from college today when I suddenly came to know that Mother Mary's statue is coming to my neighbor's place. This really excited me as it was the first time that I was getting to experience it in Goa . It is a tradition very much prevalent in Goa particularly in the villages where in the months of September and October the statue of Mother Mary visits the houses of the people living in that particular village and along with the statue come a group of people with candles singing beautiful hymns in praise of Mother Mary.

So I and my mother set off to the neighbour's place in our village of Parra where we waited for the statue to arrive. In the meantime, we got a chance to meet many people from our village we don't get to meet otherwise such as Nobert, one of the neighbours who just lives nearby and Mary, an old friend to my mother. These are the people that my mother knows about very well considering the fact that she was born and brought up in that village itself, but I personally felt very happy seeing all the people coming over to the place and all were  mostly waiting outside the gate for the statue to arrive after which they would come in a procession with candles and flowers heading towards the house.

Finally the car came and out stood one of the brother's of that house with the statue. He took a few steps forward with the statue and once he moved forward, behind him came in a procession all the visitors with candles lit up singing a hymn dedicated to Mother Mary and heading towards the house. When they reached the entrance, the statue was handed over to the head of the house which was the man's mother who garlanded it and carried it all the way to the hall. It was so nice to see how they carried the statue to the house after which they started off with a few prayers in Konkani that marks the entrance of Mother Mary to the house followed by the rosary.

It was really nice to see all the people, especially the small children saying the prayers in the local language of our state and I personally felt ashamed considering the fact that I don't know the language (I know the prayers of Our Father and Hail Mary though) but nevertheless, I give respect to the people who know the language and I personally felt that at one point there was a sort of an emotional attachment or bond that was keeping us together when saying the prayers in the local language. That's what I actually observed as at that point I felt that we all are Goans, we have a unique identity and culture and the fact that we speak our local language is a great thing as we can connect with each other and understand each others emotions and feelings. In other words there is something common that actually binds us all together as Goans. This is something that I realized after this experience.

Once we finished with the prayers, each one of us present went in a line to kiss the statue of Mother Mary after which all of us sat down and were offered a tray consisting of some delicious food items particularly the croquettes and the green chutney sandwich which were really very tasty. After that, people started leaving as it gets dark very soon and especially it being a village, the fear of encountering unchained dogs and accidental trampling over snakes could be high.

Nevertheless it was a really nice experience which cannot be forgotten and cannot be compared to the same in U.A.E, taking into consideration the traditions and the customs that make this practice a unique one.

PS: Below in the clockwise direction, the first two pictures were clicked at the house as described in my account and the last picture was clicked at another person's house who too I went for their Mother Mary's statue. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival Of The Monsoon King

It has suddenly turned dark. The skies have turned dull and the trees with their lofty branches and extended family sway as the wind keeps passing on and off, a signal of a forthcoming storm soon to overtake the surrounding area. The birds stop chirping, the rooster stops crowing in attempts to safeguard and protect itself as the rain rambles it’s way through the hills, all the way to the trees and forests of the low-lying areas. A sudden strike of thunder, followed by the lashing rain and behold…..the monsoon king as he prepares to lay siege over the village, part by part, lane by lane. With great joy and exuberance, he marches around the whole sky, celebrating the victories that he has achieved over the past weeks and months, enough for him to survive the remaining months he has got before he can be finally dethroned by the Winter King.   The farmers in their fields rejoice with glee on his arrival, a plentiful harvest to satisfy themselves and their families thereupon, the young chi

The Limits of Being a Human.....

About a day back, I was pondering over an incessant thought that kept going through my mind, over and over again and this was to do with the whole idea of how the pandemic has affected us all as human beings. As I kept deliberating over it, a sudden realization struck my mind which really filled me with a lot of surprise and wonder, as I kept thinking about how could mankind, being blessed with such a great mind and intelligence allow the pandemic to unravel to such an extent so as to have almost brought the world to a complete standstill? How was it that the greatest of the greatest scientists and people with a great intellect couldn't have stopped the spread of the outbreak? As surprising or rather as strange as it sounds, the inherent limitations or weaknesses of being a human was what had in the whole process been revealed to all of us. To elaborate on this, I was just examining two types of subjects we learnt in school- one being the natural sciences focused on natural phenome

The True Meaning of Change....

As a preface to this blog article, before you start reading and getting to know the purpose of what I have to share as I write this post, this post is like an auto-biographical account into how I went through the struggles that I had to undergo when coming to Goa, and how did I personally overcome all the challenges that it took for me to adjust to the place and of course the people all around. I do hope that you are left with some great insights that can be an inspiration to yourself and the people all around, and I also wish that you are left with a message that forms the cornerstone of who you are, as well as your existence.... Change. This was a word, which I really struggled to come to terms with myself and how I would go about with my day to day life. It is something that I really feared right from the time I was born, I attended school, spent all my life in UAE, and then moved to Goa for my higher studies. All through my life, I had gone through a lot of instances and situations