Skip to main content

Standing in the Garden


There standing in the garden,  lay a small plant taking the shape of what looks like almost a palm tree with wide flappy-like leaves which flap themselves as the breeze passes to and fro.

Shaded with a whole array of branches of our ancestral mango tree whose fruits we cherish to the fullest, it looks more like a canopy or a gazebo with a few potted plants surrounding it in the form of a circle, and what appear to be a smaller version of the bushes we have in our garden that border this gazebo, with triangular bricks which could make for a small mini-forest, had there been many more varieties of plants in the same area itself.

The fruits of the palm like plant that make for the gazebo hang from the branches, a cluster of small orange berry like fruits which fill me with wonder and imagination of the name people have given this plant as well as what the taste of them must be, as I’m just filled with curiosity of the bunch full of berries that this plant has been endowed with.

Some years back, when I could distinctly remember, this plant along with another variety of a similar kind used to occupy two of the whole lot of pots we have in the garden, and to see it now occupying a place of it’s own after so many years of being jailed and trapped in a pot is what appears to have brought in the feel of happiness in it as it is more taller than it used to be and besides it even bears fruits which is something that I never in my wildest dreams ever imagined!!

Such has been the true curiosity of my grandparents, with whose efforts and labour led to a beautiful garden we have today of many different varieties of plants we have and whose fondness and keen interest in them kept them busy for years and years, for decades after decades as there was never a moment left behind to capture the wholeness of beauty that this garden was blessed with, and today I, one of the descendants of the family sit in the balcao, gazing at what indeed is a true marvel that we possess!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival Of The Monsoon King

It has suddenly turned dark. The skies have turned dull and the trees with their lofty branches and extended family sway as the wind keeps passing on and off, a signal of a forthcoming storm soon to overtake the surrounding area. The birds stop chirping, the rooster stops crowing in attempts to safeguard and protect itself as the rain rambles it’s way through the hills, all the way to the trees and forests of the low-lying areas. A sudden strike of thunder, followed by the lashing rain and behold…..the monsoon king as he prepares to lay siege over the village, part by part, lane by lane. With great joy and exuberance, he marches around the whole sky, celebrating the victories that he has achieved over the past weeks and months, enough for him to survive the remaining months he has got before he can be finally dethroned by the Winter King.   The farmers in their fields rejoice with glee on his arrival, a plentiful harvest to satisfy themselves and their families thereupon, the young chi

The Limits of Being a Human.....

About a day back, I was pondering over an incessant thought that kept going through my mind, over and over again and this was to do with the whole idea of how the pandemic has affected us all as human beings. As I kept deliberating over it, a sudden realization struck my mind which really filled me with a lot of surprise and wonder, as I kept thinking about how could mankind, being blessed with such a great mind and intelligence allow the pandemic to unravel to such an extent so as to have almost brought the world to a complete standstill? How was it that the greatest of the greatest scientists and people with a great intellect couldn't have stopped the spread of the outbreak? As surprising or rather as strange as it sounds, the inherent limitations or weaknesses of being a human was what had in the whole process been revealed to all of us. To elaborate on this, I was just examining two types of subjects we learnt in school- one being the natural sciences focused on natural phenome

The True Meaning of Change....

As a preface to this blog article, before you start reading and getting to know the purpose of what I have to share as I write this post, this post is like an auto-biographical account into how I went through the struggles that I had to undergo when coming to Goa, and how did I personally overcome all the challenges that it took for me to adjust to the place and of course the people all around. I do hope that you are left with some great insights that can be an inspiration to yourself and the people all around, and I also wish that you are left with a message that forms the cornerstone of who you are, as well as your existence.... Change. This was a word, which I really struggled to come to terms with myself and how I would go about with my day to day life. It is something that I really feared right from the time I was born, I attended school, spent all my life in UAE, and then moved to Goa for my higher studies. All through my life, I had gone through a lot of instances and situations