Skip to main content

Social Media- More Social or Less Social?

About a while ago, I was just grasping over an incessant thought that kept pondering over my mind time and again and it is something which I felt was worth making a mention of especially considering the fact that today, it influences both our personal and professional lives a lot. It is definitely a tool that has become a profound influence in our day to day lives. There is no other better word to describe it then ‘Social Media’.

Social media which is a way of connecting with our close friends and family members today has really influenced us a lot in the way we think, our opinions we have on various matters of interest be it either social, political or in common interests that matter to us the most such as environmental causes, fundraisers and so on and so forth. In the whole process however, it has connected us all together where our mutual interests or opinions do matter to us the most while at the same time, it has also created this so-called barrier or cloud of the fantasy world or 'utopia', where we feel that we are connected but in reality, we are ‘disconnected’.

Social media has indeed made us less social or interactable in our day to day lives or circumstances. While we may often write personal messages or ‘DM’s’ as it is often referred to in the language of the ‘millennials’, it has created a widespread gap in personal, social or intimate connections that we as youngsters have to face or enthrall ourselves with. Most of the times, the impression created of social media is more of the exposition of people’s mindsets, or whatever happens in their day to day lives, thereby creating that culture of ‘narcissism’ or 'narcissistic behavior' which could be very detrimental to the personal relationships or human connections we try to forge with the people around us. It has essentially or rather paradoxically united the world while at the same time divided it, with the culture of ‘individualism’ or ‘me myself and I’ behavior or disposition forming the core essence of our society today. The true community feeling or togetherness as they say has been lost with the advent of social media, and this is something to be seriously considered. The growing emphasis on 'perfectionism' and the need to be popular has also created this so-called ‘pop-culture’ that very much dominates the society that we all live in as of today.

Social media is definitely become one of the tools that we have all resorted to connect with our loved ones especially in the times of the pandemic, but in the long term our human existence depends more on personal and intimate relationships which is something that social media cannot and will not be able achieve in the long run or duration of us human beings on this planet Earth. Therefore, we really need be aware and cognizant of the fact that social media is just one element of the way we connect with the people all around us, but definitely cannot be a substitute to the social or emotional bonds that we form with one another as humans.

PS: The article above is an adaptation to a previous one that I had written on Social Media: A Mind Game which was also published on this blog and also happens to be an essay topic that was asked as part one of my subject's exams that I had answered relatively recently which I just thought of sharing it with you all my followers and viewers :)

 

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow! Great going.intense work..shine on
Unknown said…
So well written … great going … keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival Of The Monsoon King

It has suddenly turned dark. The skies have turned dull and the trees with their lofty branches and extended family sway as the wind keeps passing on and off, a signal of a forthcoming storm soon to overtake the surrounding area. The birds stop chirping, the rooster stops crowing in attempts to safeguard and protect itself as the rain rambles it’s way through the hills, all the way to the trees and forests of the low-lying areas. A sudden strike of thunder, followed by the lashing rain and behold…..the monsoon king as he prepares to lay siege over the village, part by part, lane by lane. With great joy and exuberance, he marches around the whole sky, celebrating the victories that he has achieved over the past weeks and months, enough for him to survive the remaining months he has got before he can be finally dethroned by the Winter King.   The farmers in their fields rejoice with glee on his arrival, a plentiful harvest to satisfy themselves and their families thereupon, the young chi

The Limits of Being a Human.....

About a day back, I was pondering over an incessant thought that kept going through my mind, over and over again and this was to do with the whole idea of how the pandemic has affected us all as human beings. As I kept deliberating over it, a sudden realization struck my mind which really filled me with a lot of surprise and wonder, as I kept thinking about how could mankind, being blessed with such a great mind and intelligence allow the pandemic to unravel to such an extent so as to have almost brought the world to a complete standstill? How was it that the greatest of the greatest scientists and people with a great intellect couldn't have stopped the spread of the outbreak? As surprising or rather as strange as it sounds, the inherent limitations or weaknesses of being a human was what had in the whole process been revealed to all of us. To elaborate on this, I was just examining two types of subjects we learnt in school- one being the natural sciences focused on natural phenome

The True Meaning of Change....

As a preface to this blog article, before you start reading and getting to know the purpose of what I have to share as I write this post, this post is like an auto-biographical account into how I went through the struggles that I had to undergo when coming to Goa, and how did I personally overcome all the challenges that it took for me to adjust to the place and of course the people all around. I do hope that you are left with some great insights that can be an inspiration to yourself and the people all around, and I also wish that you are left with a message that forms the cornerstone of who you are, as well as your existence.... Change. This was a word, which I really struggled to come to terms with myself and how I would go about with my day to day life. It is something that I really feared right from the time I was born, I attended school, spent all my life in UAE, and then moved to Goa for my higher studies. All through my life, I had gone through a lot of instances and situations